Faith at Altitude

Religion and spirituality in the shadow of Pikes Peak

Monday, January 09, 2006

Religion -- root of all evil?

Richard Dawkins, a British biology professor of some note, apparently spent some time in Colorado Springs this year to study the city's New Life Church and the evangelical movement for a documentary he was writing. Well, now the two-part documentary is out: It's titled "The Root of All Evil?" and is, if British press reports are to be believed, an anti-religious opus.

here's a link to the story I read: www.sundayherald.com/53427. Dawkins' own Web site is www.world-of-dawkins.com/

According to the Sunday Herald, Dawkins likens America's evangelical movement to "Christian fascism" and churches like New Life as part of "an American Taliban." As far as religion itself, Dawkins really does believe it's the root of all evil, going so far as to title the second part of his series "The Virus of Faith."

Hmmm.

I have not seen this show and, since it's not being shown in the U.S., I probably won't have a chance to see it for a good long while. But I'd like to. Can the actual series be that polemic? Can it truly be that hostile to religion? Heck, faith has jump-started its share of wars and icky feelings, but it's often helped jump-start culture, too. Religion has inspired some of the world's greatest art, literature and social reforms. That's my take, anyway. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger The Mama of the House said...

I'd like to know why he thinks it's so polarizing. From what I see at New Life they are a bit too accepting of really bad theology and clueless of great historical Christian beliefs (don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert). It would be a much more interesting video if they started with the "Virus" title and then went to discuss how mystically they treat worship, the angelic/demonic battles, and the doings of the Holy Spirit.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, for one, am on Dawkin's side. Watch Jesus Camp or any other media clips about Haggard that you can get your hands on and tell me he's not being over the top. In fact go watch the clip where Dawkins and Haggard square off and tell me who seems more clear minded to you.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home