Faith at Altitude

Religion and spirituality in the shadow of Pikes Peak

Friday, April 28, 2006

Early-day saints

At 5:55 a.m. -- about 20 minutes before I got up this morning -- 600 Colorado Springs high-school students were already in class, learning more about their Mormon faith.

It's pretty remarkable, really. When I was in high school, I hated mornings. Even now I'm not overly fond of them. Attending a Latter-day Saints class for this story was -- outside of this Easter's sunrise service in America the Beautiful Park -- the earliest I've gotten up to cover a story.

These folks seem to be doing something right. A study from the University of North Carolina suggests Mormon teens are less prone to use alcohol or drugs, engage in premarital sex and tend to be just -- well, happier than teens from other faiths. And I gotta admit, the teens I saw seemed happy -- they were smiling, engaged, willing to talk and laugh. The teacher later told me they were a little more quiet than usual, perhaps intimidated by the strangers in their midst.

Maybe I'd be happier if I got up earlier. Maybe I'll try it.

Maybe tomorrow. Or the next day. Or better yet, the day after that. Or ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home